Baking: Crispy (Paleo!) Chocolate Chip Cookie
Guys! Are we on the paleo train? I have been hearing all kinds of mixed reviews lately, and even my mum decided to watch “What The Health” and give me a little pep talk about Paleo lifestyle. And I think for myself and our family, I pick and choose aspects of healthy eating that will work for us, and with Paleo the biggest are the gluten free aspects, avoiding refined sugars and finding healthy alternatives to the typical cooking and baking options.
So here is something I have been hooked on!
I have been CRAVING a crispy chocolate chip cookie for AGES. That sounds like I deprive myself, but I don’t. I eat delicious crispy chocolate chip cookies all the time, but none of them are PALEO.
And I’m pretty loose with the term “paleo” but there are a few restrictions with this lifestyle choice, and for the most part my finacé and I stick to them (with the occasional gelato here and there he he!). This is why I was so determined to find a recipe that would deliver on the sweet factor, crush the crunch dilemma and satiate our cravings for a little evening treat!
However I was at a loss. All the recipes I was finding were for these doughy, thick cookies, with almost under cooked looking tops (not a fan!). I do understand that is some peoples jam, I am more of the crispy kind (gimme!).
SO, I played around with some recipes, made two batches (I should have documented because it was pure comedy). One came out down right burnt on the tops, and uncooked in the middle, and the other had a lovely crispy bottom with a thick doughy top (just like those recipes I had been wanting to avoid!!).
I set out to find what was the missing factor, and I realized that a lot of the paleo diet/lifestyle centres around healthy fats, and although butter in excess is not good for you, if you are making treats sans sugar, it can not only be a lovely substitute for authentic sweet treat delight, it also adds to the baking factor.
And then my days of loving to bake all swooped back in, and I remembered the more fat content (a la butter), the larger the cookies will spread on the sheet, and the browner/crispier they will become because they just cannot help themselves!
I altered a recipe I started with, adding twice the amount of butter as originally suggested, and half the amount of almost flour, as well as half the amount of baking soda. Et Voilà!
Cookies of my chocolately chip crispy paleo dreams! The perfect dessert, or heck DINNER 'cause "adulting" means you can make up your own rules, right?
Serve out of the oven, with a hot cup of tea, and enjoy with friends (sharing is caring!) xx
• 2 cups blanched almond flour
• ¼ teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ cup unsalted butter
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
• ¼ cup Canadian maple syrup (optional, I made it with and without and I think the vanilla adds enough sweetness)
1. Combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda in a food processor
2. Pulse in softened butter, egg, vanilla and (optional) maple syrupe until dough forms
3. Remove blade from processor and stir in chocolate chips by hand
4. Scoop dough one level tablespoon at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet
5. Press balls of dough down so they are very flat
6. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes
7. Cool for 15 minutes (do not handle prior or cookies will break)